[Dragaera] Crack among the killed gods?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 18:08:41 PST 2007

On 2/1/07, Steve Rapaport wrote:
> On 02/02/07, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> > From: "Steve Rapaport"
> > > Is "The East" a different world or is it not?
> > >
> > > If a god is killed in "The East", can that god still manifest in
> > > Dragaera?
> > >
> > > Verra was, and can.  (Issola)
> >
> > Verra was "killed" by an upstart Easterner acting on his own. No other
> > gods were involved (well, except Bolk, but he's not vindictive, and doesn't
> > interfere with the affairs of the faerie).
> >
> > > Tri'nagore was, and can't (Sethra Lavode).
> >
> > Tri'nagore was killed in direct conflict with all the plans of the other
> > Lords of Judgment who supported Zerika's claim to the throne, and was not
> > only killed by Morrolan, but was also banished from Dragaera by the other
> > gods afterwards.
>

> Well, no -- the Lords of Judgement, in the end, sentenced Tri'nagore to the
> results that Morrolan had already imposed on him:  Inability to manifest in
> Dragaera. And that was precisely the terms they used if I remember right.
> Check and see.
>
> So by that reasoning, Tri'nagore couldn't manifest in Dragaera even before
> he was tried by the LoJ.  And it's still inconsistent with Verra.

Note that Tri'nagore only had the one altar dedicated to him in that
one village.  Morrolan desecrated it, and killed Tri at the site of
the desecration.

Verra's idol was broken in Fenario, and she, too, was killed on the
site of that desecration.  OK, had an aspect of her deity removed.

However, Verra has more than one altar dedicated to her.  Teldra, for
example, was her priestess, and Verra presumably has many more altars
and idols scattered throughout the Dragaeran Empire, like the one in
South Adrilankha that Vlad used to get to her Halls.

Tri had nothing more, and so had no other way of getting through to Dragaera.

Note also that the altars and idols are at least sometimes constructed
as the result of dreams sent by the gods they are dedicated to.
Presumably, the ban laid upon Tri by the Lords of Judgment was that he
was also forbidden to try to re-establish an anchor anywhere in or on
or near Dragaera by sending a dream to someone to build him a new
altar.

This is all somewhat speculative, but it's speculation based on lots
of textev that SKZB has carefully hinted at throughout his various
works.

   http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/God

" Gods appear to have some sort of attachment to their idols or altars
which have been dedicated to them by various peoples. Their ability to
manifest in an area also appears to be based on, and centered on,
these idols or altars. "