[Dragaera] Gambling/Drug Use in a Jhereg Reign

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue Feb 6 15:47:19 PST 2007

Does the Emperor make laws? I'm not sure we've ever seen an instance of the
Empire's government actually attending to the day-to-day operations of the
Empire. Our peeks into the inner circles have primarily been for the purpose
of understanding the political intrigue that happens there.

In any case, the Emperor can't just remake the laws of the Empire
willy-nilly. Doing so would disrupt the social order and almost certainly
end up offending various other Houses whose good will is required by the
Emperor. At any given time, the government is a coalition, albeit sometimes
a silent or "invisible" coalition.

My guess would be that a Jhereg Emperor would probably not upset the normal
laws all that much. Rather, he'd appoint officers in the Imperial Guard who
are corrupted or easily corruptible and create an environment where the
justice system tends to look the other way.

The first job of an Iorich Emperor would be to cleanup the mess left behind
and root out said corruption. Of course, an effective Jhereg Emperor would
make sure that the really good corruption was hidden effectively enough to
survive such a purge. *heh*