[Dragaera] Gambling/Drug Use in a Jhereg Reign

Will Frank wmfrank at stwing.org
Wed Feb 7 15:12:58 PST 2007

Also Sprach Jon Lincicum:

> >> Well, even after their reign is over, the Jhereg would still be high
> >> on the cycle for quite a while.
> >
> >I have to wonder about that...is it possible that after a House has
> > passed on, it pretty much drops to the bottom of the Cycle? That,
> > despite the image of the stone disc, it's as much a line as anything
> > else, and once a House has finished holding the Orb, it falls back down
> > to the bottom, and has to work its way up?
>
> This seems to be counter-indicated by Vlad's comments in /Teckla/, where
> he's talking with Cawti about Kelly's group. He says that the group's
> chances of success would be realistic if the Teckla weren't "near the
> bottom of the Cycle" (paraphrasing here, since my copy isn't handy).

Actually, I'd call that support for my theory. The Teckla are number what,
fifteen? And it's the Reign of the Phoenix? If the Cycle was really a
wheel, then the Teckla wouldn't be so far off--if halfway is nine, and
we're at one, fifteen is pretty high up, just on the waning side.

But if it's a line, fifteen really is near the bottom when one is at the
top.

Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmfrank at stwing.org
"The first major difference between a business convention and a fandom
convention is that fandom doesn't bother with the pretenses. They're just
there to have a good time. The second difference is the dress code--the
ensembles at a fan convention tend to be considerably more novel." --Harry
Dresden, _Proven Guilty_