[Dragaera] Morrolan's claims to witness Zerika's descent

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 13:48:07 PST 2007

From: "Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com>

> Except that Morrolan's memory is obviously bad, since the context of
> the conversation is that he knows sorcery doesn't work near the Falls,
> having been there when Zerika was. But Morrolan grew up during the
> Interregnum and so couldn't have known sorcery then anyway--except,
> wait. Morrolan is known to dabble in Elder Sorcery. I suppose it's
> possible that's what he was talking about.

...but then, according to Paarfi, anyway, Morrolan didn't even start studying any form of sorcery until after the Interregnum had ended.

So his story in /Taltos/ appears to have an internal contradiction... he couldn't use sorcery to defend Zerika on her quest to retrieve the Orb (and thus restore sorcery), only because of the influence of Deathgate Falls. But how could he know anything about sorcery when it (effectively) didn't exist?

Or perhaps the descent of Zerika that he's talking about was *not* in fact her quest to retrieve the Orb? What if, heretofore unknown to us, in the years since the Interregnum ended Zerika descended the falls a second time (this time in the company of Morrolan) and was accosted by bandits (a different group, obviously, as Wadre is dead) and he (now an accomplished sorcerer, of course) was unable to dispatch them sorcerously due to the influence of the Falls?

Of course, this would raise the questions of why Zerika would return to the Paths, why the gods would let her leave them a second time and why we haven't heard about this second journey before, since it seems like it would be rather historic in itself. This is not to mention what she would have done with the Orb while she was beyond Deathgate. (Would she take it with her? And if so, wouldn't that create just as much havoc as the first time? Or leave it with someone else? Who else could possibly be trusted with it?)

Hmmm... Come to mention it, this possibility doesn't seem very likely, either.

All in all, I'd say this all tends to lend credence to the "Morrolan-has-Tazendra's memories" theory...