[Dragaera] Morrolan's claims to witness Zerika's descent

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:11:08 PST 2007

On 2/13/07, Maximilian Wilson wrote:

>  Thus, Morrolan might have indeed been
> present at Zerika's descent from Deathsgate, and known enough of Elder
> Sorcery to know that it wouldn't function there.

Um, while Morrolan might have learned Elder Sorcery from Verra,
there's reason to doubt this since Verra has been shown not to be very
proactive, except in very dire circumstances, and pretty much only for
her daughter's sake.

She's didn't seem particularly interested in Morrolan in /Issola/, for
example.  She pretty much says that she accepted the summoning ritual
because of Aliera.

And I'll address the Morrolan-with-Zerika thing further down.

> I'd love to see the Elder Sorcery idea shot down, but it's consistent
> with Vlad's accounts, and Morrolan's statement is inconsistent with
> Paarfi's account whether you believe Paarfi's account of Morrolan's
> youth or not. (I find it hard to credit it took Morrolan three
> generations of Blackchapel inhabitants dying off to realize that he
> wasn't an ordinary human. Sounds like dramatic license to me. "How did
> he find out?" says Vlad. "It couldn't be concealed forever," says
> Teldra.)

While I agree that Paarfi is almost certainly pulling the scenes of
Morrolan's youth from out of his own arse, I think Paarfi is far more
reliable on matters specifically pertaining to Dragaeran history than
he is on matters relating to events outside of the Empire.

> There's really no way to know exactly what Morrolan meant without more
> data, but the "Tazendra's memories" theory is no better supported than
> any of several other theories.

It's better supported than Morrolan being correct when he claimed to
have been at Deathgate with Zerika, because if that were so, it means
that Zerika, Tazendra, and Piro all lied, or had their own memories
about who was at Deathgate messed with for no explicable reason.

And for that matter, it means that Sethra Lavode and Khaavren are also
lying in some way - Sethra is the source of who left Dzur Mountain to
go to Deathgate, and Khaavren was present at the first meeting of
Zerika and Morrolan as described by Paarfi.

No, there's simply too many surrounding threads in support of Morrolan
*not* being at Deathgate with Zerika.

While Vlad's memory being confused is certainly one explanation,
perhaps made more likely from what we see in /Dzur/, I personally
favor the ideation about Morrolan somehow having Tazendra's memories
because it's Cooler.