[Dragaera] The Unrecorded Cracks

Martin Wohlert martin_wohlert at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 02:13:59 PST 2007

"Davdi Silverrock" <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:
>To: "Dragaera List" <dragaera at dragaera.info>
>Subject: Re: [Dragaera] The Unrecorded Cracks
>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:52:35 -0800
>
>On 2/13/07, Peter H. Granzeau  wrote:
> > At 02:14 AM 2/13/2007, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>

> > >/tPG/: Speaking of gender confusion, while Cherova III is referred to
> > >in all other places as a (female) Empress, Aerich twice uses the
> > >phrase "His Majesty" when speaking of this Cherova,
>

> > For a Watsonian explanation, remember that Dragaeran does indeed have
> > pronouns that mean "him or her, whichever the case may be", and it is
> > possible that Paarfi's English translator made the misteak.
> >

>I assure you that I remembered that.  Yet consider: Aerich is a Lyorn,
>and not only knows the (historically known) name and gender of the
>previous Emperors, he is also an expert on etiquette, and therefore
>knows the absolutely correct form of address for an individual of any
>given rank, up to the Emperor.  He would not have used the
>gender-indeterminate form when he knew that an Empress ought to be
>called "Her Majesty".

Why do you think that "His/Her Majesty" would be gender-determined?
I'd say that the most important thing is the Majesty part, not
the gender.
It can also be a mistake on Brust-the-translator's part.

Incidentally, have you spent any time with Finns? IRL or online...
"Is your girlfriend there? Tell him hallo from me."
and similar is really quite common.

/Mrtn