[Dragaera] Gambling/Drug Use in a Jhereg Reign

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Feb 14 09:31:05 PST 2007

Scott Schultz wrote:

>I'm not convinced that the Orb would be much use in this regard. Submitting
>the entire Court to lie detector tests wouldn't be in the best political
>interests of an incoming Emperor.
>
>Besides, the most effective corruption would likely be in the beauracracy
>rather than in the Court. They'd have to investigate every petty paper
>shuffler in the palace.
>
>It makes more sense from the Jhereg point of view to offer up a couple of
>high-profile patsy's to make the Iorich feel like they've acomplished
>something while the real corruption goes on much as it always has.
>
>I'd think that the Orb would be most helpful as a research tool for the new
>Emperor to review what previous Iorich Emperors did and how effective they
>actually were.

I'm thinking of how corruption worked in the USSR.   Corruption is what
allowed business to happen.   The USSR would have been very dumb to
Righteously stop that corruption.   When the USSR fell, the mob got too
big for its britches though - it was unable to control its growth and
became an enemy instead of an ally of the state.   I can see the Jhereg
falling into this temptation.   They may be better off when others rule.

We have seen that the Orb isn't always used to get the Truth - when it
is not convenient to do so.   Sometimes it is used to get on with
things.    Admittedly, there is the danger that some other House gets
Righteous and tries to stop the corruption.    I'm thinking of  Vernor
Vinge's example of ubiquitous law enforcement.   Try to use the Orb to
do this and your reign will be short.

But Dragaerians have to compromise - each House has to work with other
houses.   Practicality does have to enter in so there are ways to step
back and allow honor a way to cope.