[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [_Dzur_ Spoiler]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 14 13:32:28 PST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> >

> > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Philip's third alternative is what I assume to be true--there are lots
> > > of non-criminal Jhereg and Kragar and Kiera deliberately chose to work
> > > for the RH, thus becoming RH Jhereg.
> >

> > But we've never met one, have we?  We don't even have a name like Handless
> > Jhereg for them.
>
> There's lots of folks we haven't met. If they're not relevent to the
> story, there's not much point in Vlad (or Paarfi) talking about them
> much.

As far as I recall, Vlad doesn't talk about them at all.  If Vlad says
someone is in the Jhereg, he means in the Organization - explicitly.
If a large fraction of Jhereg are Unhanded, then you'd think that at
the end of _Phoenix_ the courtiers would have been whispering not only
about a Jhereg getting an Imperial title, but an Organization member
getting one, and Vlad would say so.  And we have the odd situation that
the House and its Characteristics and Cycle role seem to be associated
with only a small portion of its members.  So for all we know there are
scads of Dragons who have nothing to do with the military, some unknown
percentage of Yendi who are straight-forward and above-board, a majority
of Vallista who have no interest in engineering or architecture.

I strongly suspect that whenever a male Jhereg shows up in the Vladiad
or Paarfiad it is assumed that he is RH.