[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [_Dzur_ Spoiler]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Feb 14 13:18:06 PST 2007

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
>
> > Philip's third alternative is what I assume to be true--there are lots
> > of non-criminal Jhereg and Kragar and Kiera deliberately chose to work
> > for the RH, thus becoming RH Jhereg.
>

> But we've never met one, have we?  We don't even have a name like Handless
> Jhereg for them.

There's lots of folks we haven't met. If they're not relevent to the story, there's not much point in Vlad (or Paarfi) talking about them much.

> Also note that in _Orca_ Kiera says that as an Easterner Vlad doesn't have
> what it takes to be a real Jhereg.  What does that mean if there's a
> significant respectable set of Jhereg?  What does the social disapproval
> of the Jhereg mean if it's a bunch of regular nobility plus two small
> criminal organizations?

To a point, the criminal Jhereg, even though they are in the minority in their House, probably are representative of the House to the point that outsiders typically fail to make any distinction. The criminals are the ones with the power and influence within the house, so they're the ones people think of when someone says "Jhereg". My feeling is that this is all Kiera meant when she said Vlad didn't have what it took to be a "real" Jhereg.

It's not that non-criminal Jhereg don't exist--it's just that they don't matter.