[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [MAJOR_Dzur_ Spoiler]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 15:42:22 PST 2007

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
>
> > > I agree that Kragar is a well-adjusted Jhereg at the time of the Vladiad,
> > > but I don't have a sense of him joining the House and saying, I want a
> > > job as a criminal, esp. an enforcer sort.  He would make a fine aide
> > > to a D.A. or a politician or business man, for example...
> >
> > ...or as a business agent for an assassin, say?
>
> Sales?  Total waste of his talents.  He should be a courier or an
> industrial spy, not someone who schmoozes or oozes respectability.
>
> Well, ok, one scenario - everybody wants Mario, however high he raises his
> rates, but Mario only wants to do work that's worthy - and Kragar's the
> guy who finds out if that's the case.  But then he wouldn't be going
> around with Easterners threatening shopkeepers.

That's just his cover.

If he's making nice fat commissions by pimping for Mario, why did he ever need to work for Nielar in the first place?

To keep the true source of his income hidden, of course.

> > Which might just explain how he got into the business side of the House in the
> first place...
>
> He really ought to be a thief, then, or an assassin.

How do we know he isn't both?

Vlad's already caught him moonlighting at one other job. Who knows how many other pies he's got his fingers in?