[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [Minor Dzur Spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 16 15:41:47 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
> > --- Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > Presumably a Handless Jhereg would still tithe to the Organization?
> >
> > I doubt we have any evidence.  However, why doesn't everybody
> > tithe to the Organization ("paying protection", as we call it
> > on this plane)?  Presumably because they can defend themselves
> > or the Imperial Guard can defend them.  I think you may be right
> > if you're assuming that neither of those applies to Handless
> > Jhereg.
> >

> In /Dzur/, there's the whole thing where some Jhereg thugs are shutting down one of the
> Markets in the Easterner's Ghetto. Vlad indicates that the Organization does
> not normally resort to this, since it draws too much of the wrong kind of attention from
> The Empire.
>
> Now, that's not to say that the Empire would really care that much if the victims were just
> a bunch of lowly Jhereg... even if they are the "honest" ones.

I claim the distinction here is between "shutting down" and discreet
lepipping.

Anyway, I'm trying to get at what distinguishes RH from NH Jhereg - it
might be that the latter just happen to be operating on the good side
of the law at the moment, their bosses not having told them to operate
on the other.  If it's the case that the Organization runs the Jhereg
but parts of it happen to be above-board, that might well answer many
of my objections.