[Dragaera] Morrolan's claims to witness Zerika's descent

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 00:35:59 PST 2007

On 2/14/07, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> [/Dzur/ allusion, non plot-spoiler]
> .
>
> On 2/14/07, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> > From: "Maximilian Wilson"
> > >

> > > Or else Paarfi lied. Single-point failure. I haven't read enough
> > > historical romances a la Dumas to know exactly how far history gets
> > > stretched in those things.
> >
> > I think the point here was that Paarfi would not have dared to flat-out lie about the
> > historical and quite verifiable acts and intentions of important, powerful nobles who are
> > currently in favor with the Empress. Not to mention with Sethra Lavode.
>
> Alexander Dumas was once accused of raping French history. His
> response: "Yes, but look how beautiful the children are."

Yet no-one that Dumas wrote about was still alive to provide a
personal disagreement.  Paarfi is writing about his contemporaries.

> I don't see
> that Paarfi, having chosen a hero, would have any particular qualms
> about sticking his hero in important battles at the formation of the
> Empire, even if the hero is still alive. *Removing* someone from a
> battle might be different, except that Morrolan refuses to be put in
> the position of defending himself.

Yet in this specific case, it is not only Morrolan himself to be
considered, but rather, all of his (theoretical) compatriots.  Even if
Morrolan would find it undignified to speak up on his own behalf,
those he was aiding ought to protest.

> If Paarfi's account were incorrect,
> it would be more likely to be fabrication on Paarfi's part than some
> kind of conspiracy between Piro, Khaavren, Sethra, et alia. as was
> initially suggested.

Yet what motivation would Paarfi have to do so?

No, I strongly suspect that Paarfi is recording, at the very least,
that which is at least partially publicly known about the events.  In
his own mind, he is a historian, and while he fabricates dialog, and
perhaps minor events, I don't see him removing someone who is reported
to have been somewhere just on a whim.

Another speculation which I have just recently ideated is that
Morrolan might have traveled through time somehow, so that a later
version of himself was indeed present at Deathgate with Zerika just
before she leaped. Possibly without her knowledge.