[Dragaera] Morrolan's claims to witness Zerika's descent

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 13:13:27 PST 2007

On 2/17/07, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> > No, I strongly suspect that Paarfi is recording, at the very least,
> > that which is at least partially publicly known about the events.  In
> > his own mind, he is a historian, and while he fabricates dialog, and
> > perhaps minor events, I don't see him removing someone who is reported
> > to have been somewhere just on a whim.
>
> You're suggesting that Khaavren et al. are actually the heroes Paarfi
> makes them out to be, sans dialogue? That is, that they actually were
> instrumental in preventing the invasion of the Pepperfields, were
> witnesses to Adron's last stand, defeated various assassins, helped
> restore the Empire, etc. etc.? I agree that if you think Paarfi's been
> pretty straight on everything else, he has to be straight on Zerika's
> descent, too.

And yet, do we not have "external" corroboration of at least some of
these events?  For the Pepperfields, there is the story of Kav and
Fenarr in BP; for Morrolan's history, there is Lady Teldra's brief
account (as well as other comments that I've noted about Morrolan
growing up in the East); for Aerich and Tazendra, there is Paresh's
account; for Lord Brimford, there is Zerika's own statements about her
Easterner lover Laszlo; for Khaavren himself, we have seen that he is
indeed Brigadier of the Phoenix Guards (Vlad seems a bit more
impressed by Khaavren than just because of his rank; perhaps he is
thinking of K's historical accomplishments).

Granted, quite a bit of Paarfi's stuff is tenuous and unlikely, yet
some of the events would be famous in their own right, and would have
been witnessed by many thousands (eg, the soldiers at the (9th or
10th) Battle of Dzur Mountain who either watched, or were inside of,
Castle Black as it rose into the air), or noted in official records.

I suspect that Paarfi's modus operandi is to make stuff up when he has
no data -- but that's exactly why him emphasizing Morrolan not being
present at Zerika's leap suggests that it is not made up: he would
have the data of the accounts of those who were indeed present.