[Dragaera] Easterner Peasants, Teckla or not Teckla?

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 15:28:13 PST 2007

In browsing through /Dzur/, I noticed Ricard mentioning that his
family had worked the lands of Lady Drenta, within 20 miles of
Adrilankha.  There's also the old oishka-drinker, who had been kicked
by a mare, who had formerly worked the lands of one Lord Cerulin.

I didn't think much about it the first time through, but now I
suddenly realized: Does that not mean that they had sworn fealty to
their respective lords, and become Teckla, and therefore had links to
the Orb?  Or was there some other sort of deal made?  Did the
Easterners refuse to swear, thinking it beneath their dignity, or
because it included limits on their freedom that they thought too
severe?  Did the lords just agree to this odd nonstandard labor
arrangement?

It just seems odd to me that Miklos became a Teckla, and learned
enough sorcery to do some pretty effective stuff in just a few years,
and yet here these Easterners, as best we can tell, have no sorcery at
all, and yet might have Orb links.

Anyway, something to think about.