[Dragaera] Opportunities for Future Vlad books

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Feb 28 10:03:11 PST 2007

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Philip Hart wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:
> >
> > > 3. Between /Jhereg/ and /Teckla/ there's another significant gap of
> > > time. (About a year.)
> >
> > Alexx says _T_ starts '"a few weeks" after the end of Jhereg (Tk 5; 43).'
>

> Come to think of it, though, if that is a Crack, and it's possible to
> put a yearish between _J_ and _T_, I'd feel a good deal happier about
> the development of Vlad and Cawti's relationship.

To the Right:

We don't really know how much time passes here. Alex's timeline is based on the fact that Vlad is considering how to spend the money he got from killing Mellar at the time he is approached to kill (presumably) Franz.

We don't know that this killing was really going to be Franz. We don't know how long it took for Herth to line up another assassin to kill him, or how long it took for that assassination to happen. (These are Dragaerans, so their timeframe is certainly a lot slower, anyway.) We don't know if maybe it just took Vlad a year to ponder how to spend his immense fortune.

To the Left:

>From Vlad's point of view, the Mellar killing still seems pretty recent when he's approached, and the line about how this murder would be "right up his alley" does strongly imply that it was an offer to kill an Easterner... Likely Franz.

And even though the killers are Dragaerans, the target is an Easterner, so the timeline for the killing would be likely to be faster than a Dragaeran would normally use.

Given the timeline laid out in /Teckla/ for Cawti's involvement in Kelly's group, however, if it *was* just a "few weeks" between /Jhereg/ and /Teckla/, then she would have already been involved with the group during the events of /Jhereg/. And even though she hid this fact from Vlad for quite a while, we don't see any evidence in /Jhereg/ that Cawti is busy with anything other than helping Vlad. So who knows?