[Dragaera] Pararecticality speaking...

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 18:52:44 PST 2007

On 2/27/07, J C wrote:

> To tell the truth, I've never been 100% happy with "pararectal".  I don't
> think "around the rectum" quite gets across the idea of "out of the ass".

To repeat some etymological info from the OED:

    As a preposition, Gr "para" had the sense 'by the side of,
    beside', whence 'alongside of, by, past, beyond', etc. In
    composition it had the same senses, with such cognate adverbial
    ones as 'to one side, aside, amiss, faulty, irregular, disordered,
    improper, wrong'; also expressing subsidiary relation, alteration,
    perversion, simulation, etc.

And "rectum" derives from the Latin "rectus", meaning "straight".

So "para" can have shades of meaning which suggest something twisted
or faulty, like much speculation with insufficient data.

> It needs to have a more "deus ex machina" feel, ie, it's really something
> coming out of something else in translation.
>
> so, for your consumption and contemplation:
>
> Exanalinguistic.
>
> ?

Hm.  At least part of the appeal of "pararectal", from my perspective,
is the staccato rhythm of the word, the clattering sounds of the "t"
and the "c".

"Exanalinguistic" seems to me to lack that certain snap.  And it
sounds a little too much like another word whose colloquial synonym is
"rimming".

Another word, offered by one K. Gorelick,  I see from trawling the
archives, was "rectogenic", where the suffix "-genic" has the medical
connotation of "arising from".

It might be possible to construct a phrase something like "deus ex
machina" - perhaps "dicta ex rectum".  But I lack the Latin to get the
details right.