[Dragaera] Ascension Day

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Mar 5 21:20:04 PST 2007

Here's a pararectal (Exoanal? Postintragutiomaximal?) notion I had
recently...

I notice that the "Ascension Day" holiday is mentioned by Vlad in
/Dzur/, and also in /Brokedown Palace/.  (Both times in reference to
someone's face lighting up.)

But the fact that it is, apparently, celebrated both in Fenario, and
also in the Empire, makes me think that perhaps this holiday is
celebrated all over Dragaera...  I was struck with the thought that this
holiday could commemorate the Ascension of the gods, and the expulsion
of the Jenoine--this being about the only thing I could think of that
both Dragaerans and Easterners would be in complete agreement about
celebrating.

The name also makes a certain amount of sense, when talking about how
the gods (Verra, et al) came into being during the event that caused the
Greater Sea of Amorphia to form.

Of course, the reference in /Dzur/ is made by Vlad, so he may simply be
making an allusion to an Eastern holiday that Dragaerans don't really
celebrate at all, and the whole theory falls apart.

I dunno. Perhaps the reference in /Dzur/ is just an expression Vlad
picked up while back east, and is actually a bit of foreshadowing to the
next book?