[Dragaera] Unquoted Brust

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 14:22:20 PDT 2007

J C wrote:

>Unquoted Brust can be found on this page:
>http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/items/tinfoilhat.xml

Howard Brazee remarked:
> I believe that expression is old.

It is, very. I knew it long before SKZB had anything in print.

_Human  relations beat_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=727995892&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1140053502&clientId=65882)
CONNIE SEALS. Chicago Defender (Big Weekend Edition) (1973-1975). Chicago, Ill.: Dec 21, 1974. p. 24 (1 page) :

As I toured some office the other day, I observed a poster over the desk of
one employee which said, "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they
aren't out to get you." I think we can all identify with that.

<<<

There are somewhat earlier cites of similar expressions.

If To Reign In Hell was SKZB's first publication, and if it appeared in 1984 -- both are according to his Bibliography page as Writer GOH at LosCon 32 -- that's a ten-year antedate. Steve is brilliant, witty, and original, but not all his wit is original.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel