[Dragaera] Unquoted Brust

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 14:29:32 PDT 2007

Oh, is that the "unquoted Brust"?  As Mark says, it's pretty old.   Here
it's attributed to Kurt Cobain, though I suspect it was around before he was
born:
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/like/just_because_you-re_paranoid_doesn-t_mean_they/168726/

I like Alan Moore's better:  "Paranoid?  Is that what they're saying about
me now?"

On 07/04/07, Mark A. Mandel <thnidu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> J C wrote:
>
> >Unquoted Brust can be found on this page:
> >http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/items/tinfoilhat.xml
>
> Howard Brazee remarked:
> > I believe that expression is old.
>
> It is, very. I knew it long before SKZB had anything in print.
>
> I checked the American Dialect Society (www.americandialect.org) mailing
> list archives and found the following citation from 1974:
>

> _Human  relations beat_
> (
> http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=727995892&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1140053502&clientId=65882
> )
> CONNIE SEALS. Chicago Defender (Big Weekend Edition) (1973-1975). Chicago,
> Ill.: Dec 21, 1974. p. 24 (1 page) :
>
> As I toured some office the other day, I observed a poster over the desk
> of
> one employee which said, "Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean
> they
> aren't out to get you." I think we can all identify with that.
>

> <<<
>
> There are somewhat earlier cites of similar expressions.
>
> If To Reign In Hell was SKZB's first publication, and if it appeared in
> 1984 -- both are according to his Bibliography page as Writer GOH at LosCon
> 32 -- that's a ten-year antedate. Steve is brilliant, witty, and original,
> but not all his wit is original.
>
> -- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological
> Busybody
>    a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel

\Steve