[Dragaera] Cracks, again, and Seventeen Nights Drunk In Adrilankha

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 23:30:54 PDT 2007

On 4/7/07, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
> I haven't looked in here in quite a while, and I'm not about to catch up on it all,

Well, perhaps you could be persuaded to peruse the two threads which
begin with these posts (no pressure or anything, but the "Cracks" page
ought to be updated with at least the contents of the 2nd):

   http://lists.dragaera.info/pipermail/dragaera-dragaera.info/2007q1/002565.html
   (although no-one agreed with me; Bah)

   http://lists.dragaera.info/pipermail/dragaera-dragaera.info/2007q1/002571.html

Speaking of the point raised in first thread, a possibly interesting
note for a linguist is that the famous "We will bury you" declaimed by
Khrushchev (or Khrushchyov) was later claimed to mean "We will outlive
you", with no personal violence being actually offered.  Hm.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_will_bury_you

> There's an old song -- really old, Child #274 -- called FIVE NIGHTS DRUNK,
> or OUR GOODMAN, or SHICKERED AS HE COULD BE,

I just now realized that "shickered" is Yiddish (from Hebrew,
"shikor"=drunk), which seems odd for an English folksong, but what do
I know?

> Anyway, I started thinking about what it would be like in Dragaera.
> Of course it wouldn't be five nights, or seven nights, for reasons you
> guys know very well.

Since the Dragaeran week is 5 days, I think it could well be 5 nights after all.

However, I would think that there would be 17 different *versions* of the song.

Hm.  I seem to recall that there were many, many stanzas of "Dung-foot
peasant" - some falling out of usage over the decades, and new ones
becoming popular.  I am sure that "5 nights drunk" would undergo
similar variation.