[Dragaera] Filk: Seventeen Nights Drunk In Adrilankha

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Wed Apr 11 10:36:25 PDT 2007

>And I do not recall a single reference to tobacco
>in the Dragaeraverse. There might have been something in passing,
>however. Does anyone else recall a reference to this?

A quick search on the book search at dragaera.info turned up this passage
from _Tekla_:

"The back room was narrow and stuffy and smelled of pipe smoke, although
Kelly didn't have the teeth of a smoker."

Granted, it doesn't say what was in the pipe, but that's presumably because
it was unneccesary to explain it rather than because it was intended to be
mysterious. If Vlad has an idea of what the teeth of a smoker are like
(referring to nicotine stains) then it must be fairly common.

Also from _Tekla_:

"The inn was pretty full for the afternoon, and there was a haze of blue
smoke. It smelled old and foul and stale."

The smoke in question is presumably tobacco or at least some form of
cigarette or pipe.

Both of these quotes are references to the practices of Easterners, so they
aren't direct evidence of smoking among Dragaerans.