[Dragaera] The Unrecorded Cracks

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 14:08:01 PDT 2007

[Edited and rearranged for clarity]

On 4/10/07, Jon Lincicum  wrote:
> Mark A. Mandel wrote:

>>> /Issola/, /tLoCB/, & /Dzur/: Who is younger, Tukko or Sethra Lavode?

> > This is already on Cracks and Shards, although I see that I've left
> > a reference blank and I haven't updated the Contents links on the
> > Cracks main page. See
> > http://cracksandshards.com/misc-cracks.html#Chaz_Tukko .

> The crack on this page is in regards to the name of the character (and
> certainly a valid point, as Chaz seems to inherit the name of a certain
> Jhereg innkeeper from /TPG/ at some point along the line) whereas I
> believe the issue that Davdi was trying to draw attention to was in
> regards to the seemingly contradictory statements made by Sethra in
> /Issola/ that Tukko is "Younger than I am." and by Tukko in /Dzur/
> saying that Sethra is "Younger than I am."

It is indeed exactly as you say.  Also, in /The Lord of Castle Black/,
there is Tukko's perhaps rhetorical "Young one" as a term of address
towards Sethra.  But the wording in /Dzur/ emphasizes that Tukko was
almost certainly not being rhetorical.

While Tukko is as taciturn in /Dzur/ as he is voluble in the
/Viscount/ books, I think he still manages to express a certain degree
of snarkiness nonetheless.  Some people can be snarky without saying a
word.