[Dragaera] Iconaclastic lyrics

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri May 4 09:10:07 PDT 2007

  I put lyrics in my iPod, but recognize that some of my lyrics were
guessing.   If someone could listen to */A Rose For Iconoclastes/*, and
edit my lyrics, I would appreciate corrections.

=======================
Backward Message
    Steven Brust
------------
I'll let you in to something, if you promise not to tell
I'm sure you'll be amused, and think it mighty swell.
It's about this little melody, as pretty as a bell
Well, I did not invent it, no I learned it down in Hell.

There's a backward message hidden in this music
designed to make your children lose control.
There's a backward message hidden in this music,
to get our talent, we all sold our souls.
There are dark and dreadful secrets to fulfill the hidden plan
of his Satanic Majesty, whose wish is our command.
Yes, there's a backward message hidden in this music
And you thought it was only rock 'n' roll.

We are agents of the devil, we will sing until he is done.
He sent us out to bring him souls and we'll take any one -
That's Right, we rock to the Anti-Christ 'till Armageddon come.
We'll drag you to perdition - we're having lots of fun!

You can sing along and have no fear
when Satan's your recording engineer.
Hidden in the masking are the clues.
Hey, that Satan, he can really sing the blues -
and let me tell you, he's a snappy dresser too!

It may sound harmless, but don't trust what you feel
the Devil sent us out, your virtue for to steal.
But one thing you may ask as you wonder if it's real -
If we said this out loud, what did we conceal?
(backward sounding noise)

There's a backward message hidden in this music
designed to make your children lose control.
There's a backward message hidden in this music,
to get our talent, we all sold our souls.
There are dark and dreadful secrets to fulfill the hidden plan
of his Satanic Majesty, whose wish is our command.
Yes, there's a backward message hidden in this music
-you thought it was only rock 'n' roll.

Hey, I guess we got you this time.
-you thought it was only rock -
(That Satan, he's such a kidder)
And you though it was just Rock'n Roll
=======================
Brother and Sister
    Steven Brust
------------
You're waiting for your dark knight on his white horse
I'm waiting for his sister in a cherry red Porsche
He cries "I am coming and I heed not the cost"
Well, I hope he don't choke on the baby's exhaust
He'll carry you away to a castle of jade
You'll have romance and fortune
I just wanna get laid.

Your knight is loyal and courageous and true
And when he comes 'riding, he'll know what to do
He'll hold you, he'll tell you, "I've found you at last"
Well, his sister is a blonde with a cute little face
You'll drink wine and picnic on the windswept plain
While we have our toot and pate and Champagne.

He'll give roses and daisies fresh berries fair
He'll give you a garland to put in your hair
His sister says "Oh Baby, I love it, You're mine"
Which may be trite, but she makes me feel fine
Yes, I hope your knight comes on his charger all white
But he isn't here yet, will I do for the night?
=======================
Drift
    Steven Brust
------------
In the gentle warmth that follows searing heat,
nothing on this earth could be so sweet.
The passing storm has left this glowing gone.
My lips leave a remembrance on your palm.

And we drift, and we drift, off to sleep.

In the first pale glimmerings of day,
our murmured words mean much more than they say.
Laughs are pearls that touches purest gold,
and arms and hearts reach out and enfold.

As we drift, as we drift, off to sleep.

Your sweet breath on my neck, sets a tingle every nerve,
and calls each day to ask once again how I deserve
such blessing, such happiness, such pride,
that you sleep, that you sleep, by my side.

If there's more to say, it will keep.
Now I'll return to your side, and settle deep.

And we'll drift, and we'll drift, off to sleep.
=======================
I Was Born About Ten Million Songs Ago
    Steven Brust
------------
=======================
If I Should Happen To Leave
    Steven Brust
------------
My mother was a fine old dame, she thought I was the best.
She didn't mind about the vase, the car, or the arrest.
She wanted me to go to school, right here in my home town.
Said, she'd be glad to pay my way if I would stick around.

(chorus)
I said:
 "If I should happen to leave, would you hide your sorrows aggrieve,
  would you tear your hair and ask my picture why?"
I said:
 "If I should happen to leave,
  If I should happen to leave,
  If I should happen to leave, bye, bye".

I enlisted back in '64 to keep my country free,
they said they'd teach me discipline, it would be good for me.
I spent four years a marching, the old 4-3-2-hup,
they wanted me for one more hitch, but when my time was up -

(chorus)
I met a girl in Norway, she was tall and blonde and cute.
Her record magnate father was a millionaire to boot.
She taught me not to ramble and she taught me how to care,
and she was going to marry me to try to keep me there.

(chorus)
-kazoo-

It's quite a joy to be here, I can see that you're impressed.
It has to be my playing, 'cause it isn't how I'm dressed.
You've shelled out 15 bucks apiece to come and hear me sing.
My voice is gone, my tuning shot, and I just broke a string.

(chorus)
I said:
"If I should happen to leave,
 If I should happen to leave,
 If I should happen to leave, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye".

=======================
Latex Man
    Steven Brust
------------
Spin through the wringer and left out on the line.
Looking for a man to ring my chimes.
Done my time, sang the blues,
But you know I've been reading the news:
I'm only trying get satisfied,
I'm only trying to stay alive,
I'll tell you what that means to me.

    I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    Yes, I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    Don't want a man to get down on his knees,
    I don't wanna to hear him say "pretty please",
    I don't wanna die of some dread disease
    Yes, I just wanna latex man.

When it feels so good, I could almost cry
and a voice in my head says "You might die"
I wanna go and go all night,
but you know it's gotta be wrapped up tight.
You say you wanna get in my pants,
But baby, you ain't got a chance
unless you know just how it has to be.

    I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    Wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    Don't want a man to get down on his knees,
    I don't wanna to hear him say "pretty please",
    I don't wanna die of some dread disease
    Yes, I just wanna latex man.

Instrumental

Put a coin into the machine,
make it good, but keep it clean.
My heart's on fire, my knees are weak
I'm so ready, I could hardly speak,
I'll wear my leather and my lace
but you won't make it to first base,
unless you've got a leak proof guarantee.

    You Know I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    I wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna wanna latex man.
    Don't want a man to get down on his knees,
    I don't wanna to hear him say "pretty please",
    I don't wanna die of some dread disease
    Yes, I just wanna latex man.
    gonna tell you about it
    just wanna latex man.
    wanna say it to you
    I just want a latex man.

=======================
Little Beggar man
    Steven Brust
------------
Instrumental
=======================
Marion
    Steven Brust
------------
It's time that I woke up.
It's time I got out of here.
Either I'm insane or there's an old dame
pouring poison in my ear.

(Chorus)
    Sing along Marion keep on carrying
    If you won't sing along, I'll know you don't care enough
    to carry your end of it on.

Well since I've been on the road,
the thing I like the most
is the way it feels when I kick my heels
in the waters of the Barbary Coast
(chorus)

These strangers that I meet,
they're hard on a traveling boy
they smile of course like a wooden horse,
I frown like the walls of Troy.

(chorus)
(instrumental)
Someday I'll get back
I'll find out if you care,
I'll lie on my back,
shoot an arrow into the air.
(chorus)
(instrumental)

Home is calling my name
saying I shouldn't make haste
I don't quite see what you're saying to me
with your doublet all unbraced.
(chorus)
and sing along
(chorus)

=======================
Neil Gaiman Pastiche #27
    Steven Brust
------------
Come to me my dark haired one, see what I have brought:
a sliver ring, a blackened moon, a feather.
You will not thank me though you ought
for all these gifts that I have brought
but remember me when you have got a heart that's hard as leather.

(chorus)
    My gift would be eternity
    but life is far too frail
    and lies are frozen colors
    with truth in each detail.

Your ears won't hear, your eyes won't see,
your hand could not accept.
The gifts I brought to sacrifice too late.
I shaped them all of tears I wept
But we both thought that we both slept
A tale within a tale has crept inside the iron gate.

(chorus)
(women's voices)
(chorus)

Fast upon the darkness now, I think I see a light
but it lies like misty breath within the clouds
the feather drifts beyond my sight
the moon turns pale from shame or fright
the rain just spins from day to knight, and knows that it will pass.

    My gift would be eternity
    but life is far too frail
    and gifts refused are lies untold
    and therein lies the tale.
(women's voices)
=======================
She's Gone
    Steven Brust
------------
Chorus:
    She's gone! She's gone
    took the kitchen sink and my last cigarette,
    She's gone, she's gone,
    and I ain't begun to miss her yet.

She took advantage, pushed me around
spent my money all over town,
But the day she left, sat down and cried
because she up and left me to have and die.
(Chorus)

She ain't the sort, you'd ever miss, none of you had, say a darkened kiss
So if you ask if I am sad that she had to go
with one thing and another would be a "no".
(chorus)

(instrumental)

And (Chorus)

I still sometimes wonder if there will come a day
when I feel sad that she went away,
but it's been 3 weeks, a thousand fears
two why, six children and fifteen years
(chorus)   -moves from singing towards talking-
that's right, I ain't become to miss her yet,
what I said, I said
I ain't begun to miss her yet
might start, but I ain't begun to miss her yet.
I might wake up this morning and say "Oh, I miss that girl"
I might wake up this morning and say "Oh, I want to drop a piano on my head"
  It's just about as likely.

I don't think it's going to happen, I just do not believe it sports fans
no sir, she's out of here, she's gone
and that's that,  you know what I mean, I mean, grab some bench,
Strike three, sit down, I mean, you're all done, I don't need this,
I've got a day job, I don't have to torture myself this way
How am I supposed to understand, anyway?
How am I supposed to make sense of this world in which  Casberry has
demonstrated
that we don't understand the very universe in which we live?
in which quantum physics has shown us that everything is ccconfusion,
random,
and you might want to know if I will wake up in the morning and say
"Oh, I miss that bitch"

I mean,
Some people believe in UFOs,
some people believe in ectoplasm,
some people believe that Clinton will fulfill his campaign promises
with all of this, you expect me to understand exactly what's going on,
when something is as complex...

=======================
Stream Of Consciousness Blues
    Steven Brust
------------
Word association footballs to the wallflower bedroom
eyes of the world will one by wonder who it who cries
tears of salt and pepper hair brain schematic circuit views
from every sidewalk surfing down the stream of consciousness blues.
Baby bunting down the first base on the coke ads
life insurance premiums are do be do you know my wife
married to my job security guard
your assets, debits, dues, payable up stream of consciousness blues.
You'd better take it bacteriological result, is outside my field
cause I may throw or consult a shrink or else I might lose my mind your
P's or Q's
and get those floating down the stream of consciousness blues.

I've been reading Carlos casting bread upon the water works as well as
any other wise guy
drinking Scotch and soda jerks ate an ice cream Sunday paper cut blood
read the news and
got those floating gently down the stream of consciousness blues.
=======================
Till My Baby Comes Home
    Steven Brust
------------
My Baby's been gone for most a year,
I don't sweat and I don't fear
'cause someday she'll be sitting here
I'll keep my spirits up
  'till my baby comes home.

Gonna take one hit of this pipe I'm a smoking
Gonna say one thought that needs to be spoken
Gonna make one vow that will never be broken

chorus:
    And keep my spirits up 'till my baby comes
      'till my baby comes home
      'till my baby comes home
       she's living in the mountains, but I want her for my home
      I'm like a dog without a song
      I'm like a singer without a bone
    But I'll keep my spirits up
        'till my baby comes home

Watch the mail for a letter or card
Sometimes waiting can get a little hard
Been working a lot, but I ain't not tired
    going to keep my spirits up
     'till my baby comes home
Put two balls at up in the same side pocket
Or two round pegs into one square pocket
But our two pictures in a heart shaped locket
(chorus)

(instrumental)
Maybe someone drove me right out of her head
Maybe she didn't mean those things she said
Maybe I'm scared, but I ain't dead
I'll keep my spirits up 'till my baby comes home
Gonna take three steps, jump across the river
Gonna drink three shots, say a prayer for my liver.
Ask three times, what else I can give her
(chorus)
=======================
The Visit
    Steven Brust
------------
We come into town for a week or so, the room is so quite at night.
The old man thinks the kid could have some wine, well I guess that it'd
be all right.
We wait for the old man to read the map, so we can all get lost again,
I it's a shame my sister wasn't around around to hear the way he played
the violin

chorus:
    I wish you could see us checking out the buildings and the cafes too
    walking down the old Oak streets, 'till we made them new.
    Take the streetcar across the river, just me and the old man and the
kid,
    trucking around like we belonged in town, and I guess we did.

That big hotel has a swimming pool, the old man did some laps,
the kid had to see if he could stand up on the subway without holding
onto the straps.
The castle's like its old stone world up here
There's a wind in my face, when we're dead and gone, I think we'll all
come back and haunt this place.
(chorus)

The kid got a canteen and I got a vest, how about that?
And if we stay here any longer, I think we're all going to get fat.
See that woman, she's got a whole chicken slung over her back.
There's good fresh bread, and a bunch of hot peppers, if you want a snack.

(instrumental)

You can buy a print here, hey that one looks just like you.
I hear they've got a jazz band playing right up the avenue
Here's the cafe where they wrote that song, the shots were fired right
there.
You can climb this hill, to sit and watch the river, or just to breath
the air.

Some years have gone, and the old man too, and I miss him so.
The kid's got a woman, can't believe how fast they grow.
Maybe someday, I'll have a grandson too, who can tell
to take me and his daddy to the city we love so well.
(chorus)
    trucking around like we belonged in town, and I guess we did
        and I guess we did.

(a minute of silence then percussion style music that doesn't match
song)
=======================
War Is Bad
    Steven Brust
------------
Last night as I lay in a doze on my bed
A remarkable notion came into my head
The most shocking thought that I ever had,
the realization that war is bad.

chorus:
    War is bad
    peace is good
    Never use plastic, if you can use wood.
    Be kind to strangers, give good jobs to vets
    recycle glass bottles, spay neuter your pets.

All of those years of bloodshed and pain
can now can forgotten and washed down the drain.
Just like the sunshine come out from a cloud
and all thanks to me, gee whiz am I proud.

(chorus)
So clear and so simple, my head almost burst
I wonder why no one else thought of it first.
We all should stop shooting and be civilized
I'll tell all my friends and won't they be surprised?
(chorus)
    everybody!
(chorus)
    ruff