[Dragaera] Iconaclastic lyrics

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon May 7 22:41:49 PDT 2007

On 5/4/07, Howard Brazee wrote:
>   I put lyrics in my iPod, but recognize that some of my lyrics were
> guessing.   If someone could listen to */A Rose For Iconoclastes/*, and
> edit my lyrics, I would appreciate corrections.
>

> =======================
> She's Gone
>     Steven Brust
> ------------
> Chorus:
>     She's gone! She's gone
>     took the kitchen sink and my last cigarette,
>     She's gone, she's gone,
>     and I ain't begun to miss her yet.
>
> She took advantage, pushed me around
> spent my money all over town,
> But the day she left, sat down and cried

"But on the day she left I sat down and cried"

> because she up and left me to have and die.

"'Cause she up and left me; she hadn't died"

> (Chorus)
>
> She ain't the sort, you'd ever miss, none of you had, say a darkened kiss

"She ain't the sort you'd ever miss
Not if you had, say, a dog to kiss"

> So if you ask if I am sad that she had to go
> with one thing and another would be a "no".

"What with one thing and another" &c

> I still sometimes wonder if there will come a day
> when I feel sad that she went away,
> but it's been 3 weeks, a thousand fears

"but it's been 3 weeks, a thousand beers"

> two why, six children and fifteen years

"two wives, six children, and fifteen years"

NB: None of the spoken stuff following this point is printed in the
lyric booklet.

> (chorus)   -moves from singing towards talking-

> How am I supposed to make sense of this world in which  Casberry has
> demonstrated
> that we don't understand the very universe in which we live?

Huh.  Looking at an online encyclopaedia of philosophy, a tentative
guess is that he perhaps meant "Cassirer".  Or perhaps he used the
name of a friend as a humorous in-joke.