[Dragaera] Castle Black

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Wed May 9 17:30:45 PDT 2007

I don't think it's runes.

In LOCB, Tazendra explains (from memory, no book handy) that it's easy for
sorcery to levitate something, but hard to keep it that way for any length
of time.  In Dragon, Vlad explains the same about sorcery and keeping the
rain off -- easy at first, destroys your mind if you keep it up too long.

Arra says it's no problem to keep it levitated forever with witchcraft,
given enough witches always concentrating.

She gathers enough so that they are NOT doing it full time, eventually, they
take shifts.  And by Vlad's time I could imagine there being more witches so
none of them need to do more than a few hours a day.

But there's no specific indication I can remember of a way round the witches
thing with sorcery.

EXCEPT:   Pre-interregnum, lots of castles were levitated, presumably by
sorcery, since Eastern witchcraft wasn't THAT widespread in the Empire.  So
if there's a way, Sethra would know of it.  We just don't yet.

On 10/05/07, Bryan Newell <bryann at bryann.net> wrote:

> > I seem to remember (as Vlad "seems to remember") Vlad
> > mentioning runes, writing or symbols that may or may not have
> > meant something to the order of "...don't fall down..." or
> > something or other--I think.
>
> Your mileage may vary:
>
> Dragon, Chapter 1 - [From Castle Black] I risked a look down. There were
> trees below me that looked like miniature bushes, and the two roads and
> one
> stream were lines of brown and blue respectively, meeting and crossing and
> running almost parallel to form a design that, if I tried, I could
> convince
> myself was a mark in some runic alphabet. Maybe it was a symbol that told
> the castle, "Don't fall down." That was a comforting thought.
>
> Bryan

\Steve