[Dragaera] Castle Black

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu May 10 13:25:21 PDT 2007

From: "Steve Rapaport" <steve.rapaport at gmail.com>
> What I can't figure out, then, is why, some time after the castle is
> levitated and all the troops sent out by way of Dzur Mountain, Arra has to
> chat with Stephan, I think, about how to allocate witches to the continued
> levitation vs. calling more witches vs. rest time.

This is the same passage I was referring to originally.

> If sorcery could keep the castle up at that point, shouldn't Sethra have
> helped Morrolan do it by then? She's quite involved in that whole thing.

It seems likely that the technique to keep castles suspended in midair was a very specialized technique,  known to the master sorcerers of the e'Drien line. This would help explain why only the e'Driens had them in the first place, and also why Sethra might not know the right approach.

Certain text evidence in /Dzur/ does seem to indicate that there may well be sorcerous techniques that Sethra is unfamiliar with. (But I won't cite the passage without spoiler-protecting the post. May get to this later tonight when I have my copy handy.)

To the left, the e'Drien sorcerers would have had links to the Orb, themselves, (otherwise how could they have suspended the floating castles in a way that failed when the Orb vanished?) so it is somewhat interesting that Zerika wouldn't have been able to dredge up the proper technique from its memories. At the time she did have a rather vested interest in keeping Castle Black in the air.

Then again, would they really rush to re-employ an old spell that had failed so spectacularly during Adron's Disaster?