[Dragaera] Covens and Magical Cooperation

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Thu May 10 15:01:52 PDT 2007

From: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
> Is there any textev illustrating a case of sorcerors combining their efforts
> to achieve a greater effect than they'd achieve by themselves?

According to this article, this is explicitly verboten:

http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcery#How_Sorcery_Relates_To_Other_Branches_of_Magic

I know this is based on textev from someplace, likely either /Jhereg/ or /Taltos/, but I can't recall exactly where it came up.

> I can't think of any. Barring anyone else coming up with an example, it
> seems that this is another area that differentiates witchcraft from sorcery.
> It also kind of implies that witchcraft is ultimately the more powerful
> magic, provided that you can put together a big enough coven. Theoretically,
> if you got every Easterner alive to work together on a single effect, you
> could pick up the Empire, flip it over, and slam it down again, burying all
> of your troubles in one hammer blow.

Well, except that witchcraft in general seems to be more focused on subtle manipulations, rather than exercising raw brute power. Now this might be just due to the fact that it's hard to get that many witches all operating in the same direction at once... Which may very well make Morrolan's Circle an exceptionally potent resource.