[Dragaera] Covens and Magical Cooperation

Steve Rapaport steve.rapaport at gmail.com
Thu May 10 15:01:12 PDT 2007

I think sorcery is a one-person thing, Scott, driven by the power of the
Seas and channeled through the Orb (or some necrophia source) to the will of
one mind.  Adding power could come only from making more raw chaos
available, or by improving the Orb, both of which were done during the
Interregnum.

The complexity or intricacy of the spell is what makes demands on the human,
not the raw power as in witchcraft.

And if you've ever written software, you'll know that adding more people to
the task doesn't make the software more intricate or elegant!  Usually the
contrary.

Sethra mentions that some sorcerors have tried to understand and alter an
object's protons, neutrons and electrons, to effect transmutation, but that
it generally destroyed them.  Not due to the power required, (moving a few
particles about), but due to the fineness and number of the objects to be
manipulated.

Steve the Younger

On 10/05/07, Scott Schultz <scott at cjhunter.com> wrote:

> Is there any textev illustrating a case of sorcerors combining their
> efforts
> to achieve a greater effect than they'd achieve by themselves?
>
> I can't think of any. Barring anyone else coming up with an example, it
> seems that this is another area that differentiates witchcraft from
> sorcery.
> It also kind of implies that witchcraft is ultimately the more powerful
> magic, provided that you can put together a big enough coven.
> Theoretically,
> if you got every Easterner alive to work together on a single effect, you
> could pick up the Empire, flip it over, and slam it down again, burying
> all
> of your troubles in one hammer blow.

\Steve