[Dragaera] Castle Black

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:11:14 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, dovekie  wrote:

> If it were me, I'd make the witchcraft spell that makes it levitate
> permanent, and then add the sorcerous version on top of that, just in
> case.

Hm.  I think I agree with this notion.

Since Morrolan had ample evidence of the complete failure of the
sorcerous-only floating castles, I can see him working out a
multiply-redundant system that would require multiple simultaneous
failures before breaking.

In fact, he might also have an additional layer of Elder Sorcery
maintaining the system, which could explain his interest in that
particular subject.  Indeed, he has interest in many different
branches of magic, and might try and figure out how to maintain his
castle in the air using all of them.

But I also think that he would not necessarily make this public
knowledge, which would explain why Paarfi thinks that the levitation
is all due to witchcraft, and only witchcraft, at all times.

This might also explain why Castle Black can move in Vlad's time:  The
witchcraft-only system would have been exceedingly slow.  However, one
of the other systems  of magic can indeed move the castle at a
reasonable pace.