[Dragaera] Is it a competition? ;]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue May 15 12:04:49 PDT 2007

dragaera-request at dragaera.info wrote:

>No, I totally agree with you.  I thought his Dirk books came from Doctor
>Who more, at least in feel, than the other series.  (Yes, I know its
>name, but in trying to write less and get to sleep sooner, I am failing
>utterly.)  I love way too many parts of _The Long Dark Tea-Time of the
>Soul_ and _Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency_.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency actually combines elements of the Adams-penned Doctor Who Stories "Shada" (the famous "lost" episode of Doctor Who that never aired due to a BBC strike) and "City of Death" (which did air, but was significantly reworked for Dirk Gently).

Interestingly, the HHG book "Life, the Universe and Everything" began as a script for a story called "Doctor Who and the Cricketmen" but was deemed "too silly" by the BBC and was never produced. ;-) Go figure.

He was never really shy about reusing his own stuff, it seems.

>How can you top "the sleep of the just, unless you meant the just asleep"?
>
>And the Howard Bell award!!!  =laughter=  There should be a Howard Bell
>award for authors who are just like Howard Bell.

Is this like the award for the most artistic use of the word "Fuck" in a Major Motion Picture? ;-)

Majikjon

And no, it's not a competition. I just need to learn not to try to correct MaM about nits, 'cause he's usually got things just exactly right the first time.