[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Casey Rousseau casey at the-bat.net
Tue May 22 09:49:20 PDT 2007

Howard Brazee wrote:
> There are legions of religious threads on the Web, but very few
> logical arguments designed to convince a prospective theist that
> Christianity is more logical than Islam or visa versa.

I (as one who purports to have some measure of rationality and is also a
devout Christian) find attempts to apply logical arguments to God somewhat
futile.  Gödel[1] proved that quite handily.  I am a Christian because that
is "language" in which I learned to think about God and in the context of
which I first found congruencies between what other people described to me
and what I experienced in my life.

If Islam, Buddhism, Atheism or Agnosticism fills those needs for another
person, who am I to argue that God cannot speak to someone else in other
ways.  Regardless of what they profess, I can only look for the fruits[2] of
their (un)belief.

Casey

[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompleteness_theorem
[2]  Matthew 7.16 http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=46852279