[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue May 22 10:03:45 PDT 2007

Casey Rousseau wrote:
> Howard Brazee wrote:
>
>> There are legions of religious threads on the Web, but very few
>> logical arguments designed to convince a prospective theist that
>> Christianity is more logical than Islam or visa versa.
>>

> I (as one who purports to have some measure of rationality and is also a
> devout Christian) find attempts to apply logical arguments to God somewhat
> futile.  Gödel[1] proved that quite handily.  I am a Christian because that
> is "language" in which I learned to think about God and in the context of
> which I first found congruencies between what other people described to me
> and what I experienced in my life.
>
> If Islam, Buddhism, Atheism or Agnosticism fills those needs for another
> person, who am I to argue that God cannot speak to someone else in other
> ways.  Regardless of what they profess, I can only look for the fruits[2] of
> their (un)belief.

It would be handier if we knew where Internet theologians and
proselytizers were coming from in their arguments.   If someone believes
in eternal damnation for being a homosexual or for not believing in the
mechanism of salvation, then his needs to convert should logically be
 much stronger than yours, and the prospective convert's argument should
be "why your church".    But when they believe as you do, the discussion
would be better in discussing the Big Bang, or the novel /Calculating God.

/My wife attends a church that espouses your beliefs, but most churches
fight those beliefs with vigor.   It's about power.