[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Casey Rousseau casey at the-bat.net
Tue May 22 11:17:53 PDT 2007

Howard Brazee wrote:
> It would be handier if we knew where Internet theologians
> and proselytizers were coming from in their arguments...

I'm sorry, handier than...?  I agree that it is incumbent on me to share
with you my beliefs fully and truthfully if I wish to share my faith with
you.  If I fail to do that, I'd say you have every right to discount what I
say.

>   If someone believes in eternal damnation for being a
> homosexual or for not believing in the mechanism of
> salvation, then his needs to convert should logically be
> much stronger than yours, and the prospective convert's
> argument should be "why your church".

I believe my job is to share what I have learned in my journey of faith to
anyone who asks, offer support and allow God to do the work.  Conversion is
much less fruitful than conversation.  The framing of the question as "why
your church" is harder for me to contemplate than the question "why your
God?"  The church as I've experienced it and would like to see it continue
is ecumenical and catholic.  Perhaps though I'm seeing the tree instead of
the forest in your question and you're paraphrasing "Why Christianity?"

>  But when they believe as you do, the discussion
> would be better in discussing the Big Bang, or the
> novel /Calculating God./ My wife attends a church
> that espouses your beliefs, but most churches fight
> those beliefs with vigor.   It's about power.

Unfortunately, you are too correct.

Casey