[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Tue May 22 11:23:16 PDT 2007

Snarkhunter:

> it would be galling to have to admit that ultimately
> your arguments against a set of beliefs amount to a belief in
> themselves, there being no objective evidence of any kind to bear on the
> issue, either for or against.

But of course there is objective evidence against Rudolph the Red-Nosed
Reindeer's cosmic battles with Mr. Mxtlplk and every other religion -
none has any evidence for it, or explanatory power, or susceptibility
to disproof, or moral utility, or compatibility with reason.  I don't know
the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - I just don't believe in Him.
That doesn't require some special belief in itself.