[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:25:44 PDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> But of course there is objective evidence against Rudolph the Red-Nosed
> Reindeer's cosmic battles with Mr. Mxtlplk and every other religion -
> none has any evidence for it, or explanatory power, or susceptibility
> to disproof, or moral utility, or compatibility with reason.  I don't know
> the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - I just don't believe in Him.
> That doesn't require some special belief in itself.

The implicit belief is that things can be assumed to not exist until
evidence for them appears. (H. P. Lovecraft might have had fun with that
idea.) This is not intrinsically more rational than the opposite position,
or any one in between.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are, be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

Everything in Windows is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult.
    -Clausewitz