[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (nospoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM
Tue May 22 11:50:27 PDT 2007

Howard Brazee wrote:
> Chris Olson wrote:
>
>>Because remembrance implies consciousness; therefore the knowledge of
>>what lies prior to or after life.
>>

> Unless there was nothing before or after life.

And if there is nothing, then there is nothing to remember--indeed, no
way to remember.

>>I'm patient enough to wait around and find out.
>
> Unless there's nothing there, in which case you'll never know.

And won't care in the least, one way or t'other.

But this expresses my point as to *why* someone would want to remember a
time before they were alive--because doing so would confirm that there
was a "before", and implies that there will likely be an "after".

Me, I'm more concerned with the "here" and "now".  This life is tough
enough without having to worry about the next one.  Hell, it's not like
any of us can stop ourselves from eventually learning (or not learning
anything, as the case may be:).

Chris