[Dragaera] Dragaeran reincarnation

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Tue May 22 13:39:36 PDT 2007

>Going on-topic - I don't have a good handle on what reincarnation
>means on Dragaera.

Reincarnation is a fact of life, like gravity. It's not a basis for a
theology. I'm not even sure you can say that theology means the same thing
in the Dragaeran Empire that it does in the East or in our world.

In our world, reincarnation is a theological system that underpins a social
system. If you're a well-behaved member of your caste, accept your lot, and
attempt to be as "good" as you can, then in your next life, you might rise
above your previous station and be born into a higher level caste.
Eventually, if you run out of castes, you can achieve Nirvana and be
released entirely from the cycle of rebirth. (Yes, that's a simplistic view
of things.)

Generalizing from the handful of semi-unreliable examples that we have of
Dragaera, it's not unreasonable to presume that souls, as a general case,
are reborn into the same House they originated in. There's no evidence so
far that Dragaerans expect that living a good life will, say, cause a soul
to progress from peasant to craftsman to merchant to aristocrat.

Reincarnation isn't a theological discussion unless one happens to be
concerned about whether the judgement of one's patron God will positively or
negatively influence the next life.

One thing we can say is that, accepting reincarnation as a fact of life,
death is primarily a transition beween one state of being and another.
Necromancy is not neccesarily "evil". In fact, Necromancy appears to be a
neccesary subject of study for anyone seriously attempting to understand
alternate planes of existence and interacting with such. To quote the
Necromancer on death - "It is sometimes inconvenient."

Ultimately, it means that death itself is not as frightening as it might be
here on Earth. Only destruction of the soul itself is that frightening.
Hence, the universal revulsion towards Morganti weapons.