[Dragaera] Dragaeran reincarnation

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue May 22 13:55:23 PDT 2007

Scott Schultz wrote:
>> Going on-topic - I don't have a good handle on what reincarnation
>> means on Dragaera.
>>

> Reincarnation is a fact of life, like gravity. It's not a basis for a
> theology. I'm not even sure you can say that theology means the same thing
> in the Dragaeran Empire that it does in the East or in our world.

I wonder what their religion or religions have to do with their concepts
of the right way to live.  I wouldn't be surprised if they still have
some Eastern type religions assisting them in finding their places.
> In our world, reincarnation is a theological system that underpins a social
> system. If you're a well-behaved member of your caste, accept your lot, and
> attempt to be as "good" as you can, then in your next life, you might rise
> above your previous station and be born into a higher level caste.
> Eventually, if you run out of castes, you can achieve Nirvana and be
> released entirely from the cycle of rebirth. (Yes, that's a simplistic view
> of things.)
>
> Generalizing from the handful of semi-unreliable examples that we have of
> Dragaera, it's not unreasonable to presume that souls, as a general case,
> are reborn into the same House they originated in. There's no evidence so
> far that Dragaerans expect that living a good life will, say, cause a soul
> to progress from peasant to craftsman to merchant to aristocrat.

I agree.   Which means, whatever you are you are, and will be forever.
If you're a hero, you will come back a hero.  If you're scum, you will
come back scum.   Assistance in acceptance could be the source of some
religion.

We do see a case where someone has reincarnated across species.

I wonder if excommunication from a house is permanent, or just a life
sentence.

> Ultimately, it means that death itself is not as frightening as it might be
> here on Earth. Only destruction of the soul itself is that frightening.
> Hence, the universal revulsion towards Morganti weapons.

I suppose the most frightening thing would be to be incorporated into a
GW by someone whose goals weren't yours.

I don't understand the fear of soul destruction, I suppose it is
genetic.    Unless there is some theology that has an ultimate
destination for a soul that they believe must be reached.