[Dragaera] The Lyorn's Horn

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon May 28 10:34:04 PDT 2007

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 5/27/07, Mark A. Mandel  wrote:
>
>> Davdi Silverrock scripsit:
>>

>> And finally, perhaps two colors - I noted the phrase "lyorn red",
>> which might suggest that the body is red rather brown.  Perhaps red
>> with brown legs?  Or perhaps random areas of red and brown?
>>
>> Where was that phrase? Was it "lyorn red" or "Lyorn red"?
>>

> PotD, pg 92.  And it was indeed "lyorn", which was why I thought it
> was meant to refer to the animal rather than the House.  But it is not
> outside the bounds of probability that it was a typo for the
> capitalized House name.

Given that this instance is describing how Daro is dressed, I consider
it likely that it should have been "Lyorn" rather than "lyorn" here.
(Daro is described by Paarfi as dressing in "Lyorn Colors" often enough
in the rest of the Khaavren Romances that I don't think a single
non-capitalized instance amounts to very much.)

Still, there's certainly enough wiggle room in the description of the
animal for there to be reddish sections of fur.

To the left, I always figured the colors a House uses were more symbolic
of certain aspects of their character (i.e. Grey for death, Black for
Sorcery, Silver for tenacity, Red for loyalty, etc.) than literal
references to the animals themselves.

> Speaking of shades of red and brown, I wonder if perhaps "Lyorn (or
> lyorn) red" is a dark shade, like maroon or burgundy:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_%28color%29

I've always assumed Lyorn Red was a darker shade. But perhaps that's
just because it goes better with "Golden Brown" than a bright red would.