[Dragaera] Speculation on weapons and sorcery

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Tue Jun 26 09:30:02 PDT 2007

Howard Brazee wrote:

> Quite a bit of fantasy is written where compound bows are not to be
>
>expected, but slings were not thought of.

At a guess--most westerners don't know as much/have as much of a feel
for slings as they do arrows (& thank you, Mr. Shakespeare!)

>But there are *lots* of possibilities with the use of magic with sling
>stones.

I think I'd want an accuracy spell first & then an extra oomph spell on
top of it.  Wouldn't really need an exploding stone, alhough that would
be nice.  Um, cf. Zelazny's slinger battle near the end of =Call Me
Conrad=.  They were splintering small trees to kindling before they were
attacked by the cannibals.

>I wonder how siege warfare and sea warfare are fought in Dragaera.

We see a bit of a siege of Castle Black.  Apparently, you handle it by
teleporting in/out what you need & then levitating the castle (-:  Of
course, teleport blocks would do for that one.  Actually, since
widespread teleportation is a post-interregnum thing, historical sieges
probably ran much along conventional Earth lines before then, and with
teleport blocks now, they probably still do.  One impressive thing is
how well Sethra appreciates logistics, the bread and butter (so to
speak) of professional military planners.  You don't often see that in
fantasy; Modesitt refers to it on a sort of individual scale & Cook's
various protagonist military leaders always show a flare for it  (Bragi,
the Captain, the Lieutenant & later Croaker), but I'm hard pressed for
any other examples. . . .

Snarkhunter