[Dragaera] Unofficial preliminary poll results (WAS:RE: Drive-by poll about titles)

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jun 28 16:28:15 PDT 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Scott Schultz wrote:

> Well, I know I just figured my three favorites, and then bumped one (Dragon)
> for another (TPG). I wasn't doing any mental judgments of relative merit
> between them.

You were surely doing a mental judgement, just not a conscious one.

> That said, how would you recommend weighting the votes? Give the first title
> three points, the second two points, and the final one point and see what
> sort of spread results?

Sounds like a plan.

There's a well-known theorem (Arrow's Paradox) that shows there is no
reasonable ranked voting system for more than two options, so any system
you choose may lead to unjust outcomes, so picking something sensible
and sticking with it is best in my view.

> Here's how the list looks using the weighting system described above. Jhereg
> floats to the top, but the top vote-getters remain pretty much the same.

That suggests that there's no ranking preference except for _Jhereg_,
which gets listed high if at all.