[Dragaera] Polling excitement specifics

A.S. Zanoni chica at dreamcafe.com
Thu Jul 5 13:22:58 PDT 2007

dragaera-request at dragaera.info wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:18:26 -0700
> From: "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com>
>

> Here's how the list looks using the weighting system described above. Jhereg
> floats to the top, but the top vote-getters remain pretty much the same. A
> few titles in the middle of the pack switch places but for the most part the
> two lists are pretty similar.
>
> Title                Total Points
> ----------------     ------------
> Jhereg			 39
> The Phoenix Guards	 34
> Taltos			 33
> Issola			 29
> To Reign In Hell		 24
> Agyar				 13

Interesting.  I expected _Jhereg_ at or near the top.  I hadn't realized
TPG was so popular.  Very cool.

Thank you also for tabulating and discussing the results, gentlefolk.
That was an unexpected bonus for which I am most thankful!

Does anyone here use LibraryThing to sort, find or discuss books?  Or
any combination of those, really.  Just curious.

------------------------------

> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:28:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
>
>> Here's how the list looks using the weighting system described above. Jhereg
>> floats to the top, but the top vote-getters remain pretty much the same.
>
> That suggests that there's no ranking preference except for _Jhereg_,
> which gets listed high if at all.

_Jhereg_ being at the top helps.  Especially since it was the best
starting choice for people who say, "Wow, does this guy have a series?
I like this!"  My rationale was that most readers prefer to read by
order of publication OR designated order [book one, book two, et cetera].

Recently I read an essay, which said that SF is a perfect genre in a
certain respect - in that people who like an author tend to want to read
everything else they can find by that author.  I believe "author-driven"
was the phrase used.

I'd like the path to be clear (and sufficiently inviting) for those
future converts to find their way.  :>

I do appreciate that so many folks replied to this.

Thank you all!

Chica*---

---
A.S. Zanoni