[Dragaera] A passing comment of Sethra's

J C greyw01f at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:34:55 PDT 2007

My wife and I were discussing the books over lunch when she asked me a
question that rather piqued my interest, and so I submit it to this esteemed
forum:

Sethra at the end of Issola (BTW, if you read "At the END of Issola" and
haven't figured out that spoilers are on the way, perhaps you should begin
reading more carefully :P) makes a comment to Vlad as he's about to leave,
one that on top of serving her purposes of being as absolutely unfathomably
secretive as can possibly be at any given time, also indicates something of
interest.

"Should I happen to not be around when Lady Teldra wakes up, you will not
forget to give her my regards?" p.253(pb) ISSOLA

It struck my wife as significant, because she read it as "In case I'm no
longer around when..." which implies that Sethra has either divined,
intuited, suspects, fears or has had prophesied that her demise is imminent
when Godslayer is reborn.  I read it like everyone else did, including Vlad,
at face value, which was her being a prick and sing-songing "I know
something you don't know"...

But if my wife's reading is correct, then, the way I see it, there are two
possible outs:  one, as indicated above, Sethra may die or
become....unavailable in the near future, perhaps re-joining Dzur Mountain
or whatever.  Her death would be a fairly momentous event, as she is despite
Verra's opinion of her, rather caught up in the affairs of the Cycle, so if
Sethra somehow departs, then I suggest it most likely that she rejoin Dzur
mountain or whatever happens, though why she'd want to be sleeping when
Godslayer's being swung around is anyone's guess.

But here's my own interpretation of my wife's interpretation of Sethra's
comment:

Perhaps Teldra's awakening is not a permanent thing, perhaps she wakes up,
stretches a bit, kills a god, yawns, and falls back asleep again.  To which
my wife said "She couldn't; it would be rude."  Which implies, of course,
that Teldra's essence is whole again, which I think isn't the case.  But I
responded not with that, but with "But it would be rather Issola-ish" to
which she had to admit that I had a point.

Still, I would like to hear your opinions on this interpretation of a
passing comment of Sethra's...

Jon (and Meagan)