[Dragaera] A passing comment of Sethra's

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Sun Jul 8 19:14:20 PDT 2007

> I'm a bit confused about this, since if _FHYA_ is post-Vlad
> then Paarfi well knows that Aliera has been restored, and if
> he doesn't know that then the book is pre-Vlad.

According to Alexx's timeline:

* Aliera returned in 240 PI (post-Interregnum).

* Paarfi began work on the (still unfinished) manuscript from which /TPG/
and /FHYA/ sprang in 269 PI.

* /TPG/ submitted for publication in 309 PI.

* /FHYA/ submitted for publication in 11 NR (Norathar's Reign, sometime
after 309 PI).

* /PD/ submitted for publication in ~169 NR.

This timing suggests that, before Paarfi even began working on /FHYA/, he
knew Aliera had returned, so if her disappearance is the reason for Sethra's
disappearance (as he theorizes), that would mean that, as of 11 NR, Sethra
hadn't been seen since before 240 PI.

However, in the preface to his next book, /The Paths of the Dead/ (which Jon
just quoted), he claims to have been corresponding with her while writing
the very book in which he claims she had disappeared...

I think one of the two passages is wrong, but I'm not sure which one.

On the one hand, I have difficulty believing Sethra would correspond with
Paarfi (using him as a mouthpiece is not the same thing), so, at a guess,
I'd say he is lying in /PD/ when he claims to have corresponded with her
while writing /FHYA/.

Then again, I don't really see how she could have disappeared before 240 and
not revealed herself until after 11 NR, since in between those two dates, we
have the war with Fornia in 241 PI (/Dragon/), and the Jenoine Smackdown in
248 PI (/Issola/).  Surely her involvement was a matter of public record in
both cases?

Bryan