[Dragaera] Seven Wizards mentioned...

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 16:17:35 PDT 2007

On 7/20/07, A.S. Zanoni  wrote:

> On 7/19/07, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> > I believe the Book was referred to in works by other authors as well; or
> > at least was supposed to be.

*blinks*

This is certainly the first that I have seen this mentioned.  PDDB did
not mention this when the explication of the Seven Wizards in /Athyra/
was first posted.

> I saw Seven Wizards in something Pamela wrote.  But I don't remember
> which book it was.

Aha!  Amazon Search Inside to the rescue:

"Its dark green cover was stamped in silver: The Book of the Seven
Wizards. It sounded like something they would all have enjoyed
reading, before they got into this mess."  --  /The Whim of the
Dragon/, pg 65

It does not appear to exist in the other books.

> I remember seeing Seven Wizards mentioned in one of Emma's books too.
> Logically it seems like it'd be _War for the Oaks_ but I don't think it
> actually was.  I say _Bonedancer_ or _Falcon_.

Amazon search Inside does not find the phrase in /WftO/. /Bone Dance/
& /Falcon/ are not indexed.  Bother.

> Steve says it was a game for all of 'em to mention it somewhere.

Huh. When did this game first start?

/Teckla/, Steve's first book to mention it, was published in 1987.
/The Whim of the Dragon/ was published in 1989.

> Can't say where Kara put it for sure.  I'd bet the Sagamore books.

Haven't read enough by her.

> No solid wagers for Will nor Patricia.  I haven't read _Witch Blood_, so
> that's probably the place, but _Cats Have No Lord_ is very very likely.

Since CHnL is available online, as is /Dogland/ & /tGotK/, I searched those.
No dice.

>   If Patricia slide it into her dragon books, I would be very unsurprised.

Hm.  Amazon can't seem to find anything in the /Dragon/ books.

O, great heavens.  /Magician's Ward/.  The seven wizards - all French,
except for M. Karolyi, a Hungarian - are /Les Griffonais/; "scribble"
is "griffonnage" in French.  And now that I read the text itself, I
see /Le Livre de Sept Sorciers/, by Marie de Cambriol. There's
probably more in-jokage in there, which would require more time than I
have now with Altavista or other French translation resource.

The head, it is smacked.

/Magician's Ward/ is also the one that includes the list of books with
slightly-altered titles, such as /Apres Cinq Cents Ans/ (which even my
weak French can translate), a few of which are by Scribblies, and the
rest which are not.