[Dragaera] Seven Wizards mentioned...

A.S. Zanoni chica at dreamcafe.com
Sun Jul 22 19:34:00 PDT 2007

dragaera-request at dragaera.info wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:17:35 -0700
> From: "Davdi Silverrock" <davdisil at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Seven Wizards mentioned...
>
> On 7/20/07, A.S. Zanoni  wrote:
>
>> On 7/19/07, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>>> I believe the Book was referred to in works by other authors as well; or
>>> at least was supposed to be.
>
> *blinks*
>
> This is certainly the first that I have seen this mentioned.  PDDB did
> not mention this when the explication of the Seven Wizards in /Athyra/
> was first posted.

I refer you to Steve, then.

> Aha!  Amazon Search Inside to the rescue:
>
> "Its dark green cover was stamped in silver: The Book of the Seven
> Wizards. It sounded like something they would all have enjoyed
> reading, before they got into this mess."  --  /The Whim of the
> Dragon/, pg 65

Hmm.  Not the Ace paperback, but definitely Ruth - just not in the
library.  (I just spent way *too much time* looking in the Ace edition;
see page 53.)  Search Inside probably refers to the reprint by Firebird
Books, then.  :>

> Amazon search Inside does not find the phrase in /WftO/. /Bone Dance/
> & /Falcon/ are not indexed.  Bother.

Hmm.  Well, someone could always ASK Emma.  Or Will, or Patricia, or
Kara, or Pamela.  Just sayin'.

No, I'm not volunteering myself.  I can point out that Will and Emma are
on their Great Western Book Tour.  They don't bite.

> /Teckla/, Steve's first book to mention it, was published in 1987.
> /The Whim of the Dragon/ was published in 1989.

I remember Seven Wizards somewhere in Viscount, and Steve agrees that it
is in there and that he has used it more than once.

>> Can't say where Kara put it for sure.  I'd bet the Sagamore books.
>
> Haven't read enough by her.

Tsk-tsk.  =grin=  Start with _The Nightingale_, I pray you.  Fabulous.
I am very attached to the Sagamore books too.  Kara writes funny songs.

> O, great heavens.  /Magician's Ward/.  The seven wizards - all French,
> except for M. Karolyi, a Hungarian - are /Les Griffonais/; "scribble"
> is "griffonnage" in French.  And now that I read the text itself, I
> see /Le Livre de Sept Sorciers/, by Marie de Cambriol. There's
> probably more in-jokage in there, which would require more time than I
> have now with Altavista or other French translation resource.

=laughter=  A Hungarian, go figure!  :D  The Mairelon books are Very
Cool, and I recommend them as well.  I read _Magician's Ward_ first.

> The head, it is smacked.
>
> /Magician's Ward/ is also the one that includes the list of books with
> slightly-altered titles, such as /Apres Cinq Cents Ans/ (which even my
> weak French can translate), a few of which are by Scribblies, and the
> rest which are not.

Heh.  Must re-read those, someday.

Drat Steve, who kept saying, "Ruth in the library?  With the
candlestick?" as I muttered over _The Whim of the Dragon_.

*---

---
A.S. Zanoni
Personal Assistant to Steven Brust