[Dragaera] States and violence (was Re: OT: Ray Bradbury)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Jul 23 10:29:27 PDT 2007

Jon Lincicum wrote:
>>  Their internal
>> battles and/or battles against the East help keep them occupied with
>> thoughts about something other than how much better the Empire would run if
>> the current government was overthrown.
>> </opinion>
>>

> Complete agreement.
>
> This appears to be consistent to what we have seen, both from Paarfi, and from Vlad.
>
> Majikjon

The guys on the bottom of the cycle are happy fighting their own
battles. But we have seen a tendency to assume cycle changes when that
means moving *me* to the top.

And occasionally someone will go for glory with attacks that aren't in
the Empire's best interest. A wise emperor will want to deflect that by
providing a more acceptable alternative - there's always some vassal too
big for its britches or some Crusade that could keep them occupied.

One advantage of the Orb is that it suggests Machiavellian political
solutions. We have seen that the Emperor with the Orb is not always as
clearly honest as the people have been led to believe. But in feudal
societies, the armies belong to the vassals - power is kept by other means.