[Dragaera] States and violence (was Re: OT: Ray Bradbury)

Kate Kuznetsova katekz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:36:32 PDT 2007

> > I think you're forgetting something.  The Duke of Arylle - Temma's
> > father - was accused of treason against the Empire, and presumably
> > there was enough (manufactured) evidence to result in his disgrace and
> > death.  I think we can be sure that that's why military force was
> > permitted against him and his vassals, and why his lands were granted,
> > by the Empire, to Lord Shaltre.
> >
> > My point being that the Empire was rather strongly involved as an
> > interested party in the dispute between Shaltre & Arylle.

It seems to me that the policy of the Empire towards internal wars may also
vary significantly from Emperor to Emperor. I don't see the Teckla Republic,
for example, being too keen on Dragons trampling all over their fields and I
can see the Iorich, for another example, being keen on actual lawful
justification. A Dragon may wish to direct the aggression somewhere more
useful.

Most of what we see through the eyes of Vlad and Paafri happens during the
Phoenix reign, which is known for its decadence, and, presumably, Laissez
Faire policy. I remember Zerika saying something to the effect of how a
Phoenix reign (OK, her philosophy on the Empire specifically) is conducted
in Phoenyx, but I don't have the book with me

Good point. The Shaltre/Arylle affair is a case where the Empire *did* have
> justification for getting involved.
>
> At the same time, it appears that they were perfectly willing to let
> Shaltre take care of the matter himself. The only Imperial sanction was in
> granting the titles and lands to Shaltre afterwards.
>
> This appears to be similar to the "Whitecrest Rebellion" which was put
> down by Adron's Breath of Fire Battalion, rather than the Imperial Army.
> Presumably, this had Imperial approval, but the Imperial Army did not do the
> actual fighting.
>
> Another somewhat different example that springs to mind is the case of
> Norathar's parents. They were apparently able to wage a (fairly significant)
> attack on Dzur Mountain without any apparent interference from the Empire.
> (Was this perhaps the "Eighth (or Ninth) Battle of Dzur Mountain"? Heh.)
>
> Majikjon

"No matter how subtle the wizard, a dagger between the shoulder blades will
seriously cramp his style."
- Baronet Vladimir Taltos, House Jhereg (Steven Brust)