[Dragaera] two questions about _FHYA_

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 22:04:23 PDT 2007

Philip Hart wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>

>> Philip Hart wrote:
>>
>>> Do we ever learn who revealed that Aliera had chaos stones in her rooms?
>>>

>> It was revealed that this was the Consort, Noima. (Presumably because she was
>> jealous of the attention given to Aliera by Jurabin).
>>

> Yes, but how did the Consort know?  At some point a character says it's
> critical to figure this out.

My thought was that Noima had instructed the guards to search Aliera's
quarters for "something incriminating" and they happened to find the
chaos stone... Not that Noima necessarily knew this particular item
would be found. (This is somewhat implied during the discussion on the
balcony mentioned previously.)

I'm unable to find the point you're referring to where a character says
or implies that Noima knew, specifically, about the chaos stone... There
is Tortaalik's soliloquy at the end of chapter 23 (pgs 357-9 pb) where
he examines both Jurabin's and Noima's motives, but this point is not
mentioned here... Perhaps it is buried someplace else in the text.

> Seems out of character to me, but then I find his comments some of the
> murkier bits of _FHYA_.

Lord Garland was the former "Favorite" of Tortaalik, the one who fought
his duels for him. Hence, he is no doubt well versed in swordplay. As
such, his comment might be seen as a mild chastisement of Grita,
reminding her not to underestimate his ability to defend his own
person--no matter what dangers her invented riot might produce. I such a
comment in character, and moreover, it is a small clue for the reader as
to Greycat's identity, which, at this point in the story, has been
carefully concealed by Paarfi.

Perhaps this accounts for the murkiness of the character? Errata
introduced both by Paarfi's attempts to conceal, and to foreshadow
Greycat's actual identity from the reader?