[Dragaera] Dragaera Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Tue Sep 4 16:28:24 PDT 2007

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> > From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> >> Planting something in Aliera's rooms would not work because
> >> she could simply demand to be allowed to testify under the Orb
> >> that it was not hers.
> >
> > IF Tortaalik agreed to allow her to so testify
>
> Being forbidden to testify would satisfy her honor on that score.
> House Dragon would have a fine excuse to rebel, too.

Well, Aliera knew (or at least suspected) that Daddy was going to rebel anyway.

Perhaps she didn't consider it worth the effort to make a fuss?

Particularly if it would have interfered with the lovely pretext it was giving Daddy to start mixing things up with the Emperor.

> > and IF the inquisitor (likely chosen by Tortaalik) asked a question that
> > allowed her to say so.
>
> Aliera would not be susceptible to such games - Khaavren is aware that
> any of his companions would have found a way out (as did he).

Granted, it would be much more difficult (bordering on impossible) to pull this sort of swindle on Aliera than it was on Khaavren and Co. at the end of TPG.

> She as much as admits it to Tazendra - and I think Adron acts as if he
> believes it was hers.

I would need to review the textev, and my copy isn't handy. You may well be correct, but I'd like to check the phrasing.

> > At best, it is an unknown.
>
> Well, because Paarfi may make stuff up, not because the evidence is weaker
> than usual.

True enough. But I wasn't going to put Paarfi's accuracy into question; that's almost a given anyway. And especially not if there were other alternatives.